There are many places to head south hunting before deer season closes January 15,2009 in Georgia.
Well, the Northern zone has closed here in Georgia but there are still some options available to do some late season hunts. You can still head head south hunting.
The southern zone is open until January 15, and are still some options available to do some public hunting. There are some great places open to public hunting if you want to head south hunting and get in some last minute deer hunting. Looking at the regulations I see several places that are open to public hunting. I counted 28 places open to public hunting until January 15 if you want to head south hunting.
Here is the list I came up with in alphabetical order. I hope I didn’t miss any. Looks like there are some great options still out there. Look how many acres are still open, I bet there is little pressure this time of year.
- ALBANY NURSERY WMA (300 ac.) Deer-Archery (either sex Dec. 13 -Jan. 15: Sign-IN
- ALEXANDER WMA (1300 ac.) Deer Archery (Either Sex): Sept 13- Jan.15: Sign-IN.
- BULLARD CREEK WMA(13,900 ac.) Ocmulgee Tract open for Archery deer hunting only: Sept. 13-Jan.15; Sign-In.
- CHICKASAWHATCHEE WMA (19,700ac.) Deer Archery (Either Sex) Dec.29-Jan. 15; Sign In.
- DOERUN PITCHERPLANT BOG NATURAL AREA (600 ac.) Deer-Archery (Either Sex): Nov. 1-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- ELMODEL WMA (1600 ac.) Deer-Archery (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan.15; Sign-In.
- FALL LINE SANDHILLS NA (876 ac.) Deer Archery (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan.15; Sign-In.
- FLAT TUB WMA (3,597 ac.) Firearms (Either Sex):Dec 27-Jan. 11; Sign-In.
- HANNAHATCHEE WMA (5,600 ac.) Firearms (Bucks Only): Dec.22-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- HILTONIA TRACT (500 ac.) Deer Archery (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan. 15; Sign-In. Primitive Weapons (Either Sex): Nov. 8-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- J.L. LESTER WMA (477 ac.) Deer Archery (Either Sex): Dec. 24-Jan. 7; Sign-In.
- LAKE BURTON WMA (CHATTAHOOCHEE NF) (12,600 ac.) Deer & Bear-Archery (Either Sex & Bear): Jan. 3-10; Sign-In.
- LAKE SEMINOLE WMA (15,680 ac.) Firearms (Bucks Only): Dec. 22-Jan. 15.
- LAKE WALTER F. GEORGE WMA (1,800ac.) Deer Achery (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan. 15.
- LITTLE SATILLA WMA (18,920 ac.) Firearms (Either Sex): Oct. 18-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- MAYHAW WMA (4,700 ac.) Firearms (Buck Only) Jan. 5-15; Sign-In.
- MEAD FARM (200 ac.) Deer Archery (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- MONTEZUMA BLUFFS NATURAL AREA (500 ac.)Deer Archery (Quality Buck & Antlerless): Nov. 1-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- OHOOPEE DUNES NATURAL AREA (2500 ac.)Deer Archery (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan.15; Sign-In.
- PAULKS PASTURE WMA (16,600 ac.) Deer Achery (Either Sex): Archery Only Area (Either Sex): Sept 13-Jan. 15; Sign-In
- PENHOLOWAY SWAMP WMA (4,269 ac.) Deer Achery (Either Sex): Dec. 8-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- RICHMOND HILL WMA (7,400 ac.) Archery Only Areas Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- SANSAVILLA WMA (16,867 ac.) Archery Only Areas (Either Sex): Sept. 13-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- SAPELO ISLAND WMA (9,000 ac.)Deer Archery (Either Sex): North End-Dec. 15-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- SILVER LAKE WMA (9,200 ac.) Firearms (Buck only): Jan. 7-15; Sign-In.
- TOWNSEND WMA (10,876 ac.) Firearms (Either Sex): Oct. 18-Jan. 15; Sign-In.
- TUCKAHOE WMA (15,100 ac.) Firearms (Either Sex): General Hunting Jan. 8-10; Sign-In.
- WARWOMAN WMA (CHATTAHOOCHEE NF) (15,800 ac.) Deer & Bear-Archery (Either Sex & Bear): Jan. 9-11; Check-In.
Please be sure to check the regulations for yourself, before you go.
To contact Deerhuntingbigbucks.com with questions or comments click DHBB contact form.
Happy New Years everyone, from DeerHuntingBigBucks.com
Happy New Year 2009
It was a wonderful year for us in many different ways, and it was tough in some ways as well. The economy made it very challenging, and we had to hunker down and go into survival mode to withstand the many challenges we faced. I am very blessed to have such a wonderful family and just being there and being able to see my two boys growing everyday makes the tough times not so tough. As long as I have my family and our health everything else will be fine.
I killed this buck bow hunting in Illinois.
I took this my Illinois public land buck.
We had a great 2008 deer hunting. And we had a great time getting after those big bucks. We hope all of you have a wonderful 2009.
We are already excited about deer hunting big bucks in 2009. We are planning on filming a lot of great deer hunting footage to share with you. As a matter of fact we are planning on filming our first hunt of 2009 bow hunting in Illinois, trying to get some late season action on film. The season is open until January 15 and we may get after some trophy whitetails bow hunting in Illinois one more time before the season closes. And I am pumped about it! Even though I only have a doe tag, I’m pumped about getting behind the camera in Illinois. There are some trophy whitetails in the area we will be filming and a once in a lifetime monster could walk by any time. I can’t wait! Somebody once told me if you ever go bow hunting in Illinois it gets in your blood, and now I know why they told me that. It is so true. I was fortunate enough to harvest a big brute in Illinois with my bow in 2008, and now I have got the fever bad for it! I am already looking forward to next season and being able to go back to Illinois.
Once again, Happy New Year everybody and we wish you all the best in 2009.
Rattling can be a very effective technique for calling whitetail bucks.
Hunting a big last minute whitetail can be a real challenge.
Last minute whitetail bucks can be tough to get, tomorrow good Lord willing I will be getting after some last minute whitetail deer. It will be my final attempt of the year at harvesting one of those big boys.
Last Minute Whitetail
I have had a great season getting after those trophy bucks, I sure hate it when the season comes to an end, but I have had another fun year chasing deer and was able to see quite a few deer. I saw a lot of whitetails this year while deer hunting and made plenty of great memories in the field. It is always fun to look back on those memories and recall all of the big whitetail bucks we encountered in the past. Even though some of those memories are of the one’s that got away.
Trail cameras are a great scouting tool to help you figure out deer patterns.
Any time I encounter a big trophy it is something I remember weather or not I was able to harvest him. I think I can remember every single encounter I have had with a big brute. It is just hard to forget something like that. That’s what makes deer hunting so special is all of the great memories we make getting after those willy creatures. Do you remember most of your encounters with the big boys? They are hard to forget aren’t they? Did you have a good season this year? For me being able to harvest a big boy is just the icing on the cake to having a great season. Even if I didn’t get a big boy it was still a great season being in the great outdoors smelling the fresh air, watching the sunrise, and spending good quality time with family and friends. That is why I think it is important to get those young children involved in the great outdoors, and pass along the great American heritage. I think it is important to teach them about preserving wildlife and its habitat, so future generations will be able to enjoy the great outdoors for years to come just as we have.